From Ohio History Central
Cincinnati physicians established the Academy of Medicine in 1857. It served as primarily a social and educational club for local physicians. Members met together to share knowledge, to establish standards for medical education, and to debate medical treatments for various illnesses affecting the community. The Academy of Medicine has continually operated since the 1850s. In 2003, the organization provided local residents with a physician's referral service, public lecturers, and health information telephone line. The Academy of Science, which originally only allowed men to join, eventually formed a women's auxiliary.