From Ohio History Central
Cedar Falls is part of the Hocking Hills State Park near Logan, Ohio. It is one of Ohio's most popular natural history attractions.
Cedar Falls is the largest waterfall by volume in Hocking Hills State Park. While there are taller and wider falls in the park, Cedar Falls contains more water than its rivals. The water falls approximately fifty feet into a ravine. The gorge's walls consist of Black Hand Sandstone. Sandstone is a very porous substance and much more susceptible to erosion than many other types of rocks. The stream slowly eroded away portions of the sandstone, resulting in the ravine. Hemlock trees thrive in the gorge. Early white settlers mistook the hemlock trees for cedar trees and incorrectly named the falls. At the top of the falls, the remains of a gristmill still stand. Early settlers built the structure in the 1830s, using the stream to power the mill.
In 1924, the State of Ohio purchased 146 acres of land in the Hocking Hills. This purchase formally established Hocking Hills State Park. The State of Ohio eventually purchased additional land, including Cedar Falls. First owned and operated by the Ohio Department of Forestry, in 1949, the Ohio Department of Natural Resources and the Ohio Division of Parks assumed control of Hocking Hills State Park.