Cleveland Blues (1901)
The Cleveland Blues was a professional baseball team from Cleveland, Ohio. The team originally played in Grand Rapids, Michigan, in the Western Association. In 1901, the Western Association evolved into the American League, a professional league that still exists today as one of the two leagues in Major League Baseball. For the 1900 season, the team was known as the Cleveland Lake Shores, and it first became known as the Cleveland Blues and then the Cleveland Bluebirds in 1901. In 1901, the team won fifty-four games and lost eighty-two, finishing seventh in the league. The owners of the Bluebirds then changed the team’s name to the Cleveland Broncos for the 1902 season and again renamed the team as the Cleveland Naps for the 1903 season. In 1912, the Naps became known as the Cleveland Molly Maguires and then, in 1915, as the Cleveland Indians.