From Ohio History Central
The Cleveland White Horses was a professional basketball team in Cleveland, Ohio. The team played in the National Basketball League, which formed in 1937. In 1949, this league joined with the Basketball Association of America to form the National Basketball Association.
The Cleveland White Horses played less than one season (1938-1939). The team began the season as the Warren Penns in Warren, Pennsylvania. Hoping to increase attendance, the team’s owners moved the squad to Cleveland on February 10, 1939, during the middle of the season. The team finished third in the the National Basketball League’s Eastern Division. The Penns/White Horses won fourteen and lost fourteen games. Due to its poor performance, the Cleveland White Horses disbanded at the end of the season.