Congress Green Cemetery
In the early 1800s, North Bend, Ohio, residents established the "Pasture Graveyard." President William Henry Harrison's family originally owned the land. Among the earliest burials was John Cleves Symmes, a member of the United States House of Representatives, a judge of the Northwest Territory, and father-in-law to President Harrison. Many other Symmes and Harrison family members were also interred in the cemetery, which eventually became known as the Congress Green Cemetery. The cemetery closed to burials in 1884.
During the 1800s, medical schools sometimes stole recently-buried cadavers to demonstrate medical procedures to their students. Several cadavers from Congress Green Cemetery disappeared, including that of John Scott Harrison, the son of President William Henry Harrison and the father of President Benjamin Harrison. Family members soon discovered Harrison's body at the Ohio Medical College and eventually placed him in the Harrison Tomb near his parents' remains.
Congress Green Cemetery also contains Running Buffalo Clover, an endangered plant. Its scientific name is Trifolium stoloniferum. The plant is named Running Buffalo Clover because of its three leaf-clover shape and because adult stems dispatch runners to create new plants. The plant produces white flowers that are approximately one inch across. Buffalo, which once inhabited Ohio, ate the clover and helped to disperse the plant's seeds. As buffalo declined and farming occurred, the Running Buffalo Clover became endangered. Originally, the plant existed in Ohio, West Virginia, Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas and Arkansas. Today, Running Buffalo Clover exists only in Ohio, West Virginia, Indiana, Kentucky, and Missouri.