From Ohio History Central
Charles Diebold founded Diebold Incorporated in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1857. It originally manufactured bank safes and vaults. The company and its products became well known following the Great Chicago, Illinois, Fire of October 8, 1871. Diebold had manufactured 878 various safes and vaults that were located in buildings that the fire destroyed. All 878 safes and vaults survived intact. In 1872, Diebold moved its production facilities from Cincinnati to Canton, Ohio, and thanks to the Chicago fire, demand for Diebold products skyrocketed. In 1874, the company produced a vault for Wells-Fargo. It took forty-seven railroad cars to ship the vault to San Francisco, California. Most of the company's workers during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries were German immigrants.
During the twentieth century, Diebold Incorporated remained the industry leader in bank vaults and safes. The company continuously updated its products throughout the late nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Its safes and vaults went from key locks to combination locks to automatic time locks. To thwart bank robbers, Diebold was the first company to develop manganese steel doors, safe and vault doors that could withstand dynamite explosions. The company also expanded its products to include information retrieval systems. In 1959, Diebold purchased the Herring-Hall-Marvin Safe Company. This company had specialized in counter equipment for bank tellers, creating another product line for Diebold. The company also developed intercoms and closed-circuit television for drive-thru banking. By 2000, Diebold was a leader in producing Automated Teller Machines and voting machines.
For more information:
<a href="http://www.diebold.com/aboutus/history/default.htm">Diebold Incorporated History</a>
<a href="http://www.diebold.com/aboutus/history/">Diebold ATM Solutions</a>