From Ohio History Central
File:Vessel from Esch Mounds.jpg|
Ceramic vessel has a globular body with an outward flaring rim. Entire exterior surface is covered in Mixter cordmarking. It is grayish brown in color. Item was excavated from Esch Mounds in Huron Township, Erie County, Ohio.
The Esch Mounds were a pair of conical burial mounds located along the Huron River in Erie County, Ohio. Emerson Greenman conducted early excavations at the Esch mounds in 1930. The artifacts he unearthed, including platform pipes and bladelets made from Flint Ridge flint, indicate both mounds belong to the Hopewell culture. A radiocarbon date, obtained later, shows that the Esch mounds were built around A.D. 590, which is very late in time for a classic Hopewell site.
The most remarkable artifact found in the Esch Mounds is an effigy pipe carved in the form of an alligator or a mythological creature, such as the Underwater Panther.
- Lepper, Bradley T. Ohio Archaeology: An Illustrated Chronicle of Ohio's Ancient American Indian Cultures. Wilmington, Ohio, Orange Frazer Press, 2005.
- Woodward, Susan L., and Jerry N. McDonald. Indian Mounds of the Middle Ohio Valley: A Guide to Mounds and Earthworks of the Adena, Hopewell, Cole, and Fort Ancient People. Lincoln: The University of Nebraska Press, 2002.