From Ohio History Central
In 1830, the German Theological Seminary opened in Canton, Ohio. This institution, a predecessor of Trinity Lutheran Seminary, was established to train ministers for the Lutheran Church. The seminary soon moved to Columbus, Ohio. It eventually became known as the Evangelical Lutheran Theological Seminary.
In 1840, a schism occurred within the Lutheran Church. In Ohio, the church fractured into two groups: the English Synod of Ohio and the Joint Synod of Ohio. The English Synod joined the Lutheran Church in America, while the Joint Synod joined the American Lutheran Church. The Joint Synod retained control over the Evangelical Lutheran Theological Seminary, while the English Synod established Wittenberg College, the predecessor of Wittenberg University, in Springfield, Ohio, in 1845. In 1906, Wittenberg established the Hamma Divinity School, and in 1964, this institution became the Hamma School of Theology.
By the 1960s and the 1970s, the Lutheran Church in America and the American Lutheran Church began to set aside their differences. Before the two churches officially reunited, they agreed to merge the Hamma School of Theology and the Evangelical Lutheran Theological Seminary together. The new seminary, known as Trinity Lutheran Seminary, opened on September 1, 1978, in Columbus, Ohio. The seminary is part of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.