From Ohio History Central
The First Presbyterian Church is the oldest church building in Ohio that, as of this writing, is still used as a house of worship. The church is often called the "Church of the Governors," as Ohio's second governor, Thomas Kirker, helped organize the congregation and one of Kentucky's governors, Thomas Metcalfe, helped construct the church's walls.
The First Presbyterian Church of West Union formed in 1800. Governor Kirker played a leading role in the church's establishment. In 1810, the congregation moved into the current church. Governor Metcalfe, a stonemason at this time, received 250 dollars to build the church's walls.
Prior to the American Civil War, the First Presbyterian Church's ministers and congregation played an active role in the abolitionist movement, including assisting runaway slaves. During the Civil War, the church also briefly served as a barracks for the Seventieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry.