In 1794, General Anthony Wayne ordered the construction of Fort Loramie. It was located at the portage between St. Mary's River and modern-day Loramie's Creek. In December 1795, American forces constructed the fort’s stockade, blockhouse, and several storage buildings. During the War of 1812, Fort Loramie served as a supply depot for forts in northern Ohio, as well as for military forces fighting the British in Michigan and Canada. In 1815, the United States sold Fort Loramie to James Furrow. He created a tavern and post office out of the buildings. In 1820, Furrow gave up the business. Despite this, a village that would also be called Fort Loramie had begun to form as people had moved from eastern Ohio, seeking better land and increased opportunity. Many of these early immigrants were of German descent.
- Hurt, R. Douglas. The Ohio Frontier: Crucible of the Old Northwest, 1720-1830. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press, 1996.