From Ohio History Central
Built between 1824 and 1829, the Montgomery Pike extended from the community of Montgomery to Zanesville. Montgomery originally began as a stagecoach stop along the Cincinnati-Zanesville Road. Located not far from Cincinnati, it also served as a market for local farmers. The Montgomery Pike was a turnpike that connected Montgomery and the area around Cincinnati to the new National Road. It was one of the earliest roads linking a significant portion of the new state of Ohio and served to increase trade and settlement along its route.