From Ohio History Central
The community of Mt. Healthy, originally known as Mt. Pleasant, was founded in the 1810s on land originally owned by John Cleves Symmes. The town began with a tavern built by John LaBoiteaux circa 1815 along the Hamilton Pike which allowed for strong connections to the city of Cincinnati. Over the next several years, a number of homes and businesses grew up alongside the tavern, so that by the 1830s Mt. Pleasant had a population of more than two hundred people.
The town prospered economically in the following decades, including not only retail establishments but also some light manufacturing. Businesses included a number of taverns, a furniture factory, several garment factories, wagon makers, and potteries. In addition to the town's earliest inhabitants who were English, German, or French immigrants, the area also attracted a number of Roman Catholics and African Americans. In the years prior to the Civil War, the community was also known for its meetings of the Liberty Party.
The community began to be known as Mt. Healthy because it tended to avoid the cholera epidemics of nearby Cincinnati. When it was incorporated as a village in 1893 it was officially named Mt. Healthy. However, the local post office had referred to the town as Mt. Healthy since 1884, trying to avoid confusion with another Ohio town also called Mt. Pleasant.
Mt. Healthy's ties with the city of Cincinnati strengthened in 1898, when an electric trolley line extended to the area. In the twentieth century, as automobile use became more widespread, Mt. Healthy became an official suburb of Cincinnati.