Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District

From Ohio History Central

Jump to: navigation, search
Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District map.jpg

After state legislators began to comprehend the devastation caused by the Flood of 1913, they passed the Vonderheide Act, also known as the Ohio Conservancy Law. This law made it possible for flood-prone regions to create plans for future flood control projects. In response to the Vonderheide Act, the Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District was established in 1933.

The Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District encompasses eighteen counties in Ohio, including Ashland, Belmont, Carroll, Coshocton, Guernsey, Harrison, Holmes, Knox, Licking, Morgan, Muskingum, Noble, Richland, Stark, Summit, Tuscarawas, Washington, and Wayne. In the beginning, the district was responsible for flood control and conservation efforts for the Muskingum River and its tributaries. Its headquarters is located in New Philadelphia, Ohio.

Soon after the establishment of the district, administrators began implementing several projects. Between 1933 and 1938, workers built thirteen earthen dams and one concrete dam on the Muskingum River and its tributaries. These dams created a number of reservoirs, which are still used for recreational purposes. The district continues to use the money raised from its recreational facilities, such as boat docks and campgrounds, to pay its operational expenses.

In 1939, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers assumed responsibility for flood control projects. Although the Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District is no longer responsible for flood control, its administrators still manage its conservation activities and recreational facilities.


See Also