From Ohio History Central
New Hampton was a community in Madison County, Ohio.
Prior to the arrival of white settlers, the Wyandot natives principally inhabited the area that would include New Hampton. Whites drove most of the Wyandots and other Native American groups from the region during the War of 1812, and sizable numbers of white settlers soon arrived in the region. In 1822, Samuel Sexton and Samuel Jones laid out a town that became known as New Hampton. The town was to consist of ninety-three lots, with three streets running from east to west and five streets running from north to south. At the town's height, the community contained a post office, a Baptist Church, three taverns, two stores, and approximately seventeen homes.
New Hampton only existed for a brief time. By the 1830s, construction of the National Road across Ohio was occurring, and the road passed several miles to the south of New Hampton through West Jefferson, Ohio. As a result of the road's presence, West Jefferson grew quickly. By 1834, four years after this town's founding, approximately seven hundred people resided in the village. Many of the community's first residents came from New Hampton. By 1840, New Hampton had become a virtual ghost town, as its residents sought economic opportunity in West Jefferson on the bustling National Road. According to accounts, some New Hampton residents actually moved the very house in which they resided from New Hampton to West Jefferson. The only remnants of New Hampton in existence today is the town's cemetery, which West Jefferson residents continued to use for several years.
- Howe, Henry. Historical Collections of Ohio in Two Volumes. Vol. II. Cincinnati, OH: C.J. Krehbiel & Co., Printers and Binders, 1902.
- "History of the Village of West Jefferson." Http://www.villageofwestjefferson.com/villagehistory.html.