Ohio State Journal
The Ohio State Journal newspaper originally began publication as the Western Intelligencer in 1811. The paper was published in Worthington, Ohio. James Kilbourne served as the original editor, but within a few months Joel Buttles and George Smith became its new owners.. Once Columbus became the capital of Ohio, Buttles and Smith moved the paper to Columbus and changed its name to the Gazette. In 1826, Philo Olmstead acquired the Gazette and entered into a partnership with George Nashee, Ohio's first State Printer. The two men changed the newspaper's name to the Ohio State Journal and Columbus Gazette. The journal became the official reporting newspaper of the Ohio General Assembly..
It was not until 1840 and several additional owners that the paper became known as the Ohio State Journal. During the 1840s, the paper supported the Whig Party and its candidates. Its chief competitor in Columbus was the Ohio Statesman, which supported the Democratic Party platform. In 1854, the Ohio State Journal published a call for a meeting of all Ohioans opposed to the Kansas-Nebraska Act. This convention was the beginning of the Republican Party in Ohio. Beginning in 1854, the Ohio State Journal became the Republican Party's main voice in central Ohio.
The paper changed ownership a number of times during the late nineteenth century. In 1902, Robert F. Wolfe and his brother Harry P. Wolfe purchased the paper. In 1950, the paper became part of the Dispatch Printing Company. The Ohio State Journal was published until 1959, when it merged with the Columbus Citizen. The new paper was called the Columbus Citizen-Journal.