Women's Relief Corps Home for Army Nurses

From Ohio History Central

Jump to: navigation, search
Women's Relief Corps Home for Army Nurses map.jpg

In 1892, the Women's Relief Corps established the Women's Relief Corps Home for Army Nurses in Madison, Ohio.

The Women's Relief Corps was an auxiliary of the Grand Army of the Republic, an organization of Union Army veterans. The Women's Relief Corps was founded in Portland, Maine in 1892, but chapters quickly appeared in other states, including in Ohio. The purpose of the institution was to provide housing and aid to destitute or ill women nurses from the American Civil War.

At the urging of the Ladies' Aid Society, in 1891, the Ohio General Assembly appropriated twenty-five thousand dollars to build a suitable home for the nurses. Beyond the initial appropriation, the Ohio government did not have to allocate any additional funds. Various veterans' organizations provided the necessary funds for the Women's Relief Corps Home for Army Nurses to remain open.

Originally, the home admitted nurses from Ohio and surrounding states, but in 1904, admittance was limited to Ohio nurses. Over the years, the Women's Relief Corps opened the Women's Relief Corps Home for Army Nurses to other women. The home eventually became known as the Women's Relief Corps Home of the Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, Wives, Mothers, Widows, and Army Nurses. Women affiliated with the Civil War, Spanish-American War, and World War I eventually gained admission. The home remained in operation from 1892 until 1962.


See Also

References

  1. Dee, Christine, ed. Ohio's War: The Civil War in Documents. Athens: Ohio University Press, 2007.  
  2. Gilkey, Elliot Howard. The Ohio Hundred Year Book: A Hand-Book of the Public Men and Public Institutions of Ohio from the Formation of the North-West Territory (1787) to July 1, 1901. Columbus, OH: Fred J. Heer, State Printer, 1901.
  3. Reid, Whitelaw. Ohio in the War: Her Statesmen, Generals and Soldiers. Cincinnati, OH: Clarke, 1895.
  4. Roseboom, Eugene H. The Civil War Era: 1850-1873. Columbus: Ohio State Archaeological and Historical Society, 1944.