Wyandot County

From Ohio History Central

Jump to: navigation, search
Wyandot County map.jpg

On February 3, 1845, the Ohio government authorized the creation of Wyandot County. Residents named the county in honor of the Wyandot Indians. Previously, the county had been part of land reserved to Ohio’s Indian people, under the Treaty of Greeneville.

Wyandot County is located in northern Ohio. It is predominantly rural, with only four percent of the county’s 406 square miles consisting of urban areas. The county seat is Upper Sandusky. With a population of 6,533 people, Upper Sandusky was the county’s largest community in 2000. Many residents of Ohio’s rural communities are seeking better lives and more opportunities in the state’s larger cities, but Wyandot County seems to be remaining stable in population. Wyandot County experienced a 2.9 percent population growth rate between 1990 and 2000, bringing the total number of residents up to 22,908. The county averages fifty-six people per square mile.

Farming is the largest employer in Wyandot County, with eighty percent of the county’s acreage under cultivation. Manufacturing businesses rank a close second. In 1999, the per capita income in the county was just over twenty-two thousand dollars, with seven percent of the people living in poverty.

Most voters in Wyandot County claim to be independents, yet in recent years, they have overwhelmingly supported Republican Party candidates at the national level.

See Also