Cincinnati, Hamilton, and Dayton Railroad
Construction of the Cincinnati, Hamilton, and Dayton Railroad (CH & D) began in 1851. The railroad attracted German and Irish migrants who were looking for work. After the railroad was completed, these immigrants stayed in the region and found work in factories that began to emerge near the railroad and the Miami and Erie Canal. In its early years, the railroad line had the nickname "Charge High and Damn Rough Ride."
The CH & D's main purpose was as a commuter line. A number of new communities were built along the rail line, and wealthy people moved out of the city of Cincinnati to live in these communities. Railroads allowed people who could afford to pay the fare to live further away from where they worked. The CH & D eventually became part of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.