The Coon Mound was a large, conical burial mound located in The Plains in Athens County, Ohio. It was named for Gabriel Coon, the owner of the land that included the mound. The Plains is a broad section of floodplain along the Hocking River bordered by high hills. In this two-mile long stretch of valley there were 11 earthen enclosures and 17 mounds, so the Coon Mound was part of a larger ceremonial landscape.
Originally, the Coon Mound was about 30 feet high and 158 feet in its longest diameter. Prior to 1930, the mound had been cut into for the construction of a road and local residents were digging into it to get topsoil for their gardens.
In order to salvage scientific information from the mound before it was completely destroyed, Emerson Greenman excavated the Coon Mound for the Ohio History Connection in 1930. He uncovered a single burial located in an elaborately constructed, log tomb. Artifacts found with the burial included two copper bracelets and more than 250 shell beads.
According to Greenman's report on the excavation, "the Coon Mound exhibits the characteristic features of the Adena culture in its purest form." Indeed, appended to the report is a detailed analysis of the Adena culture.
The Adena culture (800 BC – AD 100) extended across southern Ohio and neighboring portions of Pennsylvania, Kentucky, and West Virginia.
Greenman, Emerson F. "Excavation of the Coon Mound and an Analysis of the Adena Culture." <st1:place> <st1:state>Ohio</st1:state></st1:place> Archaeological and Historical Publications 41:366-526, 1932.