Difference between revisions of "File:Marietta Earthworks.jpg"
|(4 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)|
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
|description= Hopewell at , Ohio .
Latest revision as of 16:56, 9 August 2013
The Marietta Earthworks site is a large Hopewell ceremonial center located at the confluence of the Muskingum and Ohio Rivers in Washington County. Originally, it included a large square enclosure surrounding four flat-topped pyramidal mounds, another smaller square, and a circular enclosure with a large burial mound at its center. In 1788, the directors of the Ohio Company of Associates, the founders of Marietta, agreed to preserve important parts of the earthworks as parks. Three segments of the Marietta Earthworks are maintained as public parks today. The large burial mound surrounded by a circular enclosure is called Conus, the largest of the flat-topped earthen pyramids is called Quadranaou, and the next largest pyramidal mound is called Capitolium. The Washington County Public Library was built atop Capitolium Mound. The Marietta Earthworks are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Archaeologists E.G. Squier and E.H. Davis, with the help of surveyor and geologist Charles Whittlesey, systematically documented the Native American works and compiled them into an 1847 book called "Ancient monuments of the Mississippi Valley: Comprising the results of extensive original surveys and explorations."
Collection: OHS Archives/Library. 917.303 Sq43a
(Reusing this file)
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||20:03, 24 April 2013||251 × 370 (30 KB)||Maintenance script||Importing image file|
- You cannot overwrite this file.