Image is located on Ohio Memory at: http://cdm16007.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p267401coll32/id/14859
Boats on the Columbus Feeder Canal right before its terminus at the Scioto River near West Main Street (formerly Friend Street). This is the area around Bicentennial Park today. The Columbus Feeder linked Columbus with the Ohio Erie Canal at Lockborne. The Ohio and Erie Canal was one of Ohio's most important canals during the mid nineteenth century. During the late 1810s, Governor Thomas Worthington and Governor Ethan Allen Brown both supported internal improvements, especially canals. Both men believed that Ohioans needed quick and easy access to the Ohio River and to Lake Erie if they were to profit financially. In 1820, Brown convinced the Ohio legislature to establish the Ohio Canal Commission. Construction began in 1825, and the canal was completed in 1833. Once completed, thirty-three of Ohio's eighty-eight counties either had portions of canals running through them or quarries to mine rock for construction. Most canals remained in operation in Ohio until the late 1800s.
The Ohio History Connection, Columbus Dispatch Photograph Collection, P 245; Box 1, Folder 10
File Permissions for use of this photograph: Online access is provided for research and education purposes. For rights and reproduction requests or more information, go to http://www.ohiohistory.org/images/information.
Columbus Dispatch, 1833
(Reusing this file)
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||15:04, 9 April 2015||380 × 275 (18 KB)||Sback||Boats on the Ohio Erie Canal at Groveport, Ohio. The Ohio and Erie Canal was one of Ohio's most important canals during the mid nineteenth century. During the late 1810s, Governor Thomas Worthington and Governor Ethan Allen Brown both supported interna...|
- You cannot overwrite this file.