Difference between revisions of "Fort Loramie"

From Ohio History Central
 
(One intermediate revision by the same user not shown)
Line 2: Line 2:
 
| image = [[File:Fort Loramie map.jpg]]
 
| image = [[File:Fort Loramie map.jpg]]
 
}}
 
}}
<p>In 1794, General Anthony Wayne ordered the construction of Fort Loramie. It was located at the portage between St. Mary's River and modern-day Loramie's Creek. Wayne initially intended Fort Loramie to be an actual stockade, but after defeating the natives at the Battle of Fallen Timbers in August 1794, he decided a blockhouse and several storage buildings were more important. He now intended Fort Loramie to be a supply depot for American fortifications, including Fort Wayne, Fort Adams, and Fort Defiance, in modern-day northern Ohio.</p>
+
 
<p>In December 1795, the American military completed construction of the buildings. During the War of 1812, Fort Loramie served as a supply depot for forts in northern Ohio as well as for military forces sent against the British in Michigan and Canada. In 1815, the United States sold Fort Loramie to James Furrow. He created a tavern and post office out of the buildings. In 1820, Furrow gave up the business. Despite this, a village that would also be called Fort Loramie had begun to form as people had moved from eastern Ohio, seeking better land and increased opportunity. Many of the early immigrants were of German descent.</p>
+
<p>In 1794, General Anthony Wayne ordered the construction of Fort Loramie. It was located at the portage between St. Mary's River and modern-day Loramie's Creek. In December 1795, American forces constructed the fort’s stockade, blockhouse, and several storage buildings. During the War of 1812, Fort Loramie served as a supply depot for forts in northern Ohio, as well as for military forces fighting the British in Michigan and Canada. In 1815, the United States sold Fort Loramie to James Furrow. He created a tavern and post office out of the buildings. In 1820, Furrow gave up the business. Despite this, a village that would also be called Fort Loramie had begun to form as people had moved from eastern Ohio, seeking better land and increased opportunity. Many of these early immigrants were of German descent.</p>
 +
 
 +
 
 +
 
 
==See Also==
 
==See Also==
 
<div class="seeAlsoText">
 
<div class="seeAlsoText">
*[[Ohio]]
 
 
*[[German Ohioans]]
 
*[[German Ohioans]]
 
*[[Anthony Wayne]]
 
*[[Anthony Wayne]]
*[[Battle of Fallen Timbers]]
 
 
*[[War of 1812]]
 
*[[War of 1812]]
*[[Fort Defiance]]
 
*[[Defiance, Ohio]]
 
 
</div>
 
</div>
  

Latest revision as of 10:19, 6 October 2021

Fort Loramie map.jpg

In 1794, General Anthony Wayne ordered the construction of Fort Loramie. It was located at the portage between St. Mary's River and modern-day Loramie's Creek. In December 1795, American forces constructed the fort’s stockade, blockhouse, and several storage buildings. During the War of 1812, Fort Loramie served as a supply depot for forts in northern Ohio, as well as for military forces fighting the British in Michigan and Canada. In 1815, the United States sold Fort Loramie to James Furrow. He created a tavern and post office out of the buildings. In 1820, Furrow gave up the business. Despite this, a village that would also be called Fort Loramie had begun to form as people had moved from eastern Ohio, seeking better land and increased opportunity. Many of these early immigrants were of German descent.


See Also

References

  1. Hurt, R. Douglas. The Ohio Frontier: Crucible of the Old Northwest, 1720-1830. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press, 1996.