In 1794, General Anthony Wayne ordered the construction of Fort Loramie. It was located at the portage between St. Mary's River and modern-day Loramie's Creek. Wayne initially intended Fort Loramie to be an actual stockade, but after defeating the natives at the Battle of Fallen Timbers in August 1794, he decided a blockhouse and several storage buildings were more important. He now intended Fort Loramie to be a supply depot for American fortifications, including Fort Wayne, Fort Adams, and Fort Defiance, in modern-day northern Ohio.
In December 1795, the American military completed construction of the buildings. During the War of 1812, Fort Loramie served as a supply depot for forts in northern Ohio as well as for military forces sent against the British in Michigan and Canada. In 1815, the United States sold Fort Loramie to James Furrow. He created a tavern and post office out of the buildings. In 1820, Furrow gave up the business. Despite this, a village that would also be called Fort Loramie had begun to form as people had moved from eastern Ohio, seeking better land and increased opportunity. Many of the early immigrants were of German descent.