Difference between revisions of "Geneva College"

From Ohio History Central
Line 22: Line 22:
 
#Siebert, Wibur H. <em>The Underground Railroad: From Slavery to Freedom</em>. New York: Russell &amp; Russell, 1898.  
 
#Siebert, Wibur H. <em>The Underground Railroad: From Slavery to Freedom</em>. New York: Russell &amp; Russell, 1898.  
 
</div>
 
</div>
[[Category:History Places]][[Category:Early Statehood]][[Category:African Americans]][[Category:Education]][[Category:Reform]]
+
[[Category:History Places]][[Category:Early Statehood]][[Category:African Americans]][[Category:Education]][[Category:Reform]][[Category:WIP]]

Revision as of 13:33, 18 June 2013

File:Stone marking the original location of Geneva College.jpg
Stone marking the original location of Geneva College in Northwood.

During the mid nineteenth century, Geneva College was an institution of higher education in Northwood, Ohio.

In 1848, John Black Johnston established Geneva College in Northwood. The college was affiliated with the Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America. The institution originally sought to train young men and women in the tenets of the Reformed Presbyterian Church. Many students were active in the Underground Railroad, assisting runaway slaves to freedom. Geneva College closed during the American Civil War but resumed operations upon the conflict's termination. Due to low enrollment, during the 1870s, college administrators began to search for a more urban location for the institution. In 1879, Geneva College relocated to Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania, where it continues to operate today.

See Also

References

  1. Siebert, Wibur H. The Underground Railroad: From Slavery to Freedom. New York: Russell & Russell, 1898.