Grindstones

From Ohio History Central
Revision as of 22:04, 28 April 2013 by Admin (Talk | contribs) (Adding Topic)

Cutting Grindstones.jpg
Stone cutters cutting grindstones in Marietta, Washington County, Ohio, ca. 1886-1888.

Grindstones are pieces of sandstone shaped like a wheel. Especially during the 1800s and the early 1900s, individuals and businesses utilized grindstones to sharpen tools and other implements.

In Ohio, the city of Berea became a prominent manufacturer of grindstones. An abundant supply of sandstone existed along the banks of the Rocky River, and beginning in the 1840s, local residents began to quarry the sandstone. Some of the sandstone was used for building materials, while the vast majority of it became grindstones. Berea became known as the