Little Claylick, Ohio

From Ohio History Central
Revision as of 14:54, 23 May 2013 by Admin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Little Claylick, Ohio was a coal-mining town. Typical of other such communities, Little Claylick no longer exists.

The first settlers of Little Claylick, which was located in Licking County, arrived in the 1820s. Most initial settlers were former workers on the National Road. The first residents were farmers, but by the 1870s, coal mining became the town's major industry. In this decade, the Bradford-Pollack Mining Company began to excavate cannel coal, which was especially suited for blacksmithing and for use in locomotive boilers. The community grew large enough that a post office opened in 1878. Unfortunately for the Little Claylick residents, by 1883, miners had excavated most of the coal, and the town's population quickly dwindled. The post office closed in that same year. In 1912, Hopewell Township officials closed Little Claylick's school, and residents quickly abandoned the community. Numerous other Ohio communities experienced similar fates. As coal, iron, and other mineral deposits disappeared, mining and affiliated businesses moved to new sites, leaving residents of the communities that formed around the mines to abandon their homes and seek their fortunes elsewhere.

See Also