Shannopin's Town

From Ohio History Central
Revision as of 04:58, 18 May 2013 by Admin (Talk | contribs)

[[File:.]]

Shannopin's Town was a Delaware Indian village. It was located near the site of modern-day Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The village was along the Allegheny River, approximately two miles away from this river's junction with the Monongahela River. During the 1700s, western Pennsylvania was the site of a number of Delaware villages. The Delaware Indians had fled westward to avoid the Iroquois Indians and British colonists, but settlers soon began to migrate to western Pennsylvania as well. First came the fur traders, but farmers soon also joined in the migration. The Delaware and other Indian tribes moved further west, settling in the Ohio Country.

See Also

References

  1. Hurt, R. Douglas. The Ohio Frontier: Crucible of the Old Northwest, 1720-1830. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press, 1996.