Teresa Marzetti was the founder of the T. Marzetti Company in Columbus, Ohio.
Marzetti was born in Florence, Italy in 1878. Her maiden name was Piacentini. In 1896, Marzetti and her husband Joseph immigrated to the United States of America, settling in Columbus that same year.
Upon arriving in Columbus, Marzetti established an Italian restaurant on Broad Street. This restaurant closed in 1942, but another restaurant, which had opened in 1919, remained in operation until 1972. Before opening the original restaurant, Marzetti wrote, "We will start a new place and serve good food. At a profit if we can, at a loss if we must, but we will serve good food."
Marzetti prospered. Students from nearby The Ohio State University helped the first restaurant succeed in its early years. Marzetti became known for her various salad dressings, especially her coleslaw and French versions. It is unclear when she began selling the dressings to her customers, but by 1947, the second floor of the restaurant had become a factory dedicated to producing the dressings for sale in stores across Ohio. In 1955, Marzetti opened a production facility for the dressings on Indianola Avenue in Columbus, allowing the T. Marzetti Company to produce even more dressing.
Following Joseph Marzetti's death in 1911, Teresa Marzetti operated the business herself, until she married Carl Schaufele. In 1970, Marzetti sold the company to the Lancaster Colony Corporation, which continues to use the Marzetti name today. Teresa Marzetti died in 1972, and in that same year, her restaurant closed permanently.
Today, the T. Marzetti Company continues to produce Marzetti's dressings as well as additional food products. Among these products are an expanded line of dressings and the Cardini's, Girard's, New York, Mamma Bella, and Sister Schubert's brands of food. In 2007, the T. Marzetti Company sold more than 200 million dollars in products.