Treaty of Little Sandusky (1831)
On February 28, 1831, Seneca Indians residing along the Sandusky and the Little Sandusky Rivers signed the Treaty of Little Sandusky with representatives of the United States. The Seneca Indians agreed to relinquish approximately forty thousand acres of land in Ohio in return for nearly sixty-seven thousand acres of land west of the Mississippi River.
In 1831, approximately four hundred Senecas resided in Ohio. The United States government promised to assume the cost of moving the natives west of the Mississippi River. It promised as well to provide the Indians with provisions and other supplies for one year after their arrival in the West. In addition the government also paid the Senecas six thousand dollars and provided the Indians with one hundred rifles, four hundred blankets, fifty plows, fifty axes, and fifty hoes as compensation for improvements to the land that the Indians were leaving.
The Treaty of Little Sandusky, along with several other treaties between Ohio's Indian tribes and the United States government during the first decades of the nineteenth century, marked the slow but gradual removal of Ohio's native people to land west of the Mississippi River.
- Hurt, R. Douglas. The Ohio Frontier: Crucible of the Old Northwest, 1720-1830. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press, 1996.