Welcome To Ohio History Central
Ohio History Central is an evolving, dynamic online encyclopedia that includes information about Ohio's natural history, prehistory, and history. Ohio History Central is perfect for anyone wanting to learn more about Ohio!
Ohio History Central was researched and written by staff at the Ohio Historical Society. We welcome your suggestions, questions, and other feedback at email@example.com
Ohio Quick Facts
- 1. Name: From [Iroquois] word meaning "great river"
- 2. Statehood: On February 19, 1803 Congress passed an act stating that the citizens of Ohio had adopted a constitution in accordance with the 1802 enabling act and the said state had become one of the United States of America. The [Ohio General Assembly] met for the first time in [Chillicothe] on March 1, 1803, the date Ohioans now celebrate as Statehood Day.
- 3. Capitals
- 1. [Chillicothe]: 1803 - 1809
- 2. [Zanesville]: 1809 - 1812
- 3. [Chillicothe]: 1812 - 1816
- 4. [Columbus]: 1816 - present
- 4. Nickname: [Buckeye State]
- 5. Total Population: 11,353,140 (as of 2000 census)