Crowell-Collier Company

From Ohio History Central
Farm and Fireside Block.jpg
Farm and Fireside Block, located on the northwest corner of High and Factory streets (now High Street and Wittenberg Avenue) in Springfield, Ohio.

John Crowell, a printer from Louisville, Kentucky, came to Springfield, Ohio in 1878 to edit Farm and Fireside magazine. The original idea was to use magazines to sell farm machinery. By 1902 the Crowell Company was publishing a number of magazines. Over the next several years, the Crowell-Collier Company began publishing many different magazines, including Woman's Home Companion, American Weekly, and Collier's Weekly.

At its peak, the Crowell-Collier Company employed several thousand workers. It was one of the largest publishing firms in the United States during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. During the late 1800s and the early 1900s, the company also began publishing books. Between 1900 and 1910, the firm sold more than thirty million books. In the twentieth century, the company began to publish encyclopedias and yearbooks.

In 1960, The Crowell-Collier Company was acquired by the Macmillan Company.

See Also


  1. Cashman, Sean. America in the Gilded Age. N.p.: NYU Press, 1993.
  2. Chandler, Alfred D., Jr. The Visible Hand: The Managerial Revolution in American Business. N.p.: Belknap Press, 1993.
  3. Murdock, Eugene. Buckeye Empire: An Illustrated History of Ohio Enterprise. N.p.: Windsol, 1988.
  4. Painter, Nell Irwin. Standing at Armageddon: A Grassroots History of the Progressive Era. N.p.: W.W. Norton, 2008.
  5. Porter, Glenn. The Rise of Big Business, 1860-1920. N.p.: Harlan Davidson, 2006.