Maumee Road Lands
In 1823, the United States Congress gave the State of Ohio approximately sixty thousand acres of Congress Lands. This grant became known as the Maumee Road Lands.
The reason for the exchange of the Maumee Road Lands was to help facilitate the construction of a road from the Maumee River in Northwestern Ohio to the western border of the Connecticut Western Reserve in North Central Ohio. At this time, white Americans settlers were increasingly moving into Northwestern Ohio. The United States government had, of course, granted this land to American Indians under the Treaty of Greenville (1795); but in succeeding years, the government reneged on its promises, and negotiated treaties to relocate these Ohio's American Indian peoples further west. Completion of this road helped to speed settlement of the region.
- Pearson, F.B., and J.D. Harlor. Ohio History Sketches. Columbus, OH: Fred J. Heer, 1903.