McMicken School of Drawing and Design
During the 1850s, Cincinnati, Ohio, resident Charles McMicken donated approximately one million dollars to the city of Cincinnati to form a university. Although McMicken had made his donation during the 1850s, the city did not establish the McMicken School of Drawing and Design until 1869. In 1870 the Ohio legislature authorized the formation of a public university in Cincinnati. Originally known as McMicken University, a month after the college's founding, the university's board of directors changed the institution's name to the University of Cincinnati. The University of Cincinnati absorbed the McMicken School of Drawing and Design. In 1887, the McMicken School of Drawing and Design formally became the Art Academy of Cincinnati and was no longer affiliated with the University of Cincinnati.