Ohio State Medical Association
The Ohio Medical Association was established in 1835. Dr. William Awl was the primary person responsible for creating the association. The organization’s initial purpose was to lobby the Ohio legislature to establish a state hospital for the mentally ill and a school for the blind. In 1837, the Ohio Medical Association succeeded in convincing the legislature to establish the Ohio Lunatic Asylum. That same year, the Ohio General Assembly also created the Ohio Institution for the Education of the Blind.
Since its founding in 1835, the primary purpose of the Ohio Medical Association has been to lobby the Ohio and federal governments to address the needs of the state’s physicians. Now known as the Ohio State Medical Association, this organization also provides doctors with education on new medical practices. In 2005, approximately fifteen thousand Ohio doctors belonged to the Ohio State Medical Association.