From Ohio History Central
no edit summary
While the state militia system had deteriorated, numerous communities had maintained units. These units existed primarily to march in parades and to provide young men with something to do in their spare time. Among these units were the Dayton Light Guards. This unit traveled quickly to Columbus, in answer to the governor's call. It served as part of the first two Ohio infantry regiments organized for the war, becoming Company C of the First Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment. Governor Dennison dispatched these regiments to Washington, DC, to protect the nation's capital, on April 19, 1861. This was just four days after President Lincoln's call for volunteers.