From Ohio History Central
no edit summary
By the early 1900s, Elyria, Ohio, businessman Arthur Garford had amassed a sizable fortune from the Garford Manufacturing Company. This firm manufactured the first padded bicycle seat in the entire world. Garford eventually sold this company to George Worthington, who renamed the firm the Worthington Manufacturing Company. In conjunction with George Pope, a bicycle and automobile manufacturer, Garford, utilizing funds from the Garford Manufacturing Company's sale, soon formed the Federal Manufacturing Company. In 1904, Garford purchased Pope's share in the firm, and this same year, Garford renamed the company the Garford Company. The Garford Company primarily manufactured Studebaker-Garford automobiles. The company began production in 1904 and ceased production in 1911, having manufactured only 2,481 Studebaker-Garford cars. In 1908, Garford sold his majority interest in the Garford Company to Studebaker. Studebaker officials sold the Garford Company to the Willys-Overland Company in 1911.
[[Category:The Progressive Era]]