From Ohio History Central
Shopping malls quickly appeared in Ohio. The Town and Country Shopping Center, which opened in 1949 in Columbus, might have been the first modern one in the nation, although several other centers across the country, including Shaker Square in Shaker Heights, Ohio, claim to have been opened more than twenty years earlier. By the 1950s, each of Ohio's major cities had one or more shopping centers, including Cincinnati, which had both Kenwood Plaza and Swifton Commons open in 1956. Shopping centers still exist at the start of the twenty-first century, although malls, including the Severance Town Center, possibly Ohio's first indoor mall, began to replace shopping centers during the second half of the 1900s.
[[Category:The Cold War and Civil Rights]]