From Ohio History Central
On March 17, 1842, the Wyandot Indians agreed to relinquish all claims to land in Ohio and Michigan. This territory consisted of approximately 114,140 acres of land, with most of it in the northwestern corner of Ohio. To compensate the Wyandot Indians, the United States government agreed to give the natives 148,000 acres of land west of the Mississippi River. In addition to the land, government officials also agreed to provide the Wyandots with a yearly payment of 17,500 dollars. This agreement became known as the Treaty with the Wyandot.
The Treaty with the Wyandots is also known as the Treaty of Upper Sandusky. Along with several other treaties between Native Americans and the United States government during the first decades of the nineteenth century, this treaty marked the slow but gradual removal of native people to land west of the Mississippi River. This particular treaty resulted in the removal of the Wyandot from Ohio in 1843. The Wyandot Indians were the last group of Native Americans to formally relinquish their lands in Ohio and leave the state. The removal of the Wyandot opened up much of Ohio to settlement.