Browse by Category
Browse by Topic
Browse by Time Period
Timeline of Ohio History
From Ohio History Central
File:Cincinnati Reds Stadium - Crosley Field.jpg
1,177 bytes added
14:22, 24 March 2015
Text replacement - "Ohio Historical Society" to "Ohio History Connection"
An exterior view
Reverse reads: "Opening Game. Apr. 15-41. Western ave side of of Cin.Ball park." Fans wait in line outside the Western avenue side
of Crosley Field
for the opening game between the Cincinnati Reds and the St. Louis Cardinals on April 15, 1941. Crosley Field is located at the corner of Western Avenue and Findley Street
in Cincinnati, Ohio
. Originally named Redland Field
this steel and concrete Major League Baseball park was designed by architect Henry Hake and cost $225, 000 to build. It was renamed Crosley Field in 1934, when the team was bought by local businessman Powel Crosley Jr., who's ownership saw some important structural renovations to the building. It 1935, lights were added to allow for games to be played at night, in order to increase attendance during the Depression. Crosley Field was also used for other events throughout the years. Crosley Field was one of the smallest parks in the MLB, in both capacity and field size, and was notorious for "the terrace", a fifteen degree incline in left field. The last game at Crosley Field was played June 24, 1970, and the team moved to Riverside Stadium. It was destroyed on
1972 and today seven buildings and a street occupy the place where it stood
. Ohio Guide Collection.
← Older edit
Retrieved from "
About Ohio History Central