From Ohio History Central
no edit summary
<p>New Hampton only existed for a brief time. By the 1830s, construction of the National Road across Ohio was occurring, and the road passed several miles to the south of New Hampton through West Jefferson, Ohio. As a result of the road's presence, West Jefferson grew quickly. By 1834, four years after this town's founding, approximately seven hundred people resided in the village. Many of the community's first residents came from New Hampton. By 1840, New Hampton had become a virtual ghost town, as its residents sought economic opportunity in West Jefferson on the bustling National Road. According to accounts, some New Hampton residents actually moved the very house in which they resided from New Hampton to West Jefferson. The only remnants of New Hampton in existence today is the town's cemetery, which West Jefferson residents continued to use for several years. </p>
War of 1812]]
*[[West Jefferson, Ohio]]
#Howe, Henry. <em>Historical Collections of Ohio in Two Volumes</em>. Vol. II. Cincinnati, OH: C.J. Krehbiel & Co., Printers and Binders, 1902.
[[Category:History Places]][[Category:Early Statehood]][[Category:Communities and Counties]][[Category:Transportation]]