From Ohio History Central
no edit summary
| image = [[File:
Ohio Company of Associates Purchase Map.jpg]]
| caption = The map illustrates the first tract of Ohio land to be sold by the Continental Congress. The Ohio Company of Associates, composed of former Revolutionary War officers and soldiers, acquired the land. The company established the first permanent settlement at Marietta in April 1788. Among the Ohio Company's first directors were Rufus Putnam, Manasseh Cutler, and Winthrop Sargent.