Troy is the county seat of Miami County, Ohio. Residents named the town after the ancient city of Troy. Established in 1808, Troy became the Miami County seat that same year, replacing Staunton. Troy grew quickly, primarily due to its location on the Great Miami River, on the Miami and Erie Canal, and also on several important turnpikes.
In 1840, Troy’s population was 1,351 people. The town’s population nearly doubled over the next six years, as more and more people moved to the region to take advantage of its transportation infrastructure. In 1846, the town contained six churches, two newspaper offices, a branch of Ohio’s state bank, one private academy, a Masonic hall, at least six warehouses, three flourmills, five sawmills, one iron foundry, one machine shop, one shingle factory, and one plow factory.
Over the next several decades, Troy continued to grow, having a population of 3,803 people in 1880 and 4,590 inhabitants by 1890. The town remained a center of agricultural trade, with farmers utilizing the Miami and Erie Canal and railroads to ship their crops to market. In 1886, numerous manufacturing businesses existed in the town, with the Troy Buggy Works being the community’s largest employer, with 146 workers. That same year, four newspaper offices, ten churches, and two banks serviced the community.
During the twentieth century, Troy and its residents continued to prosper. With a population of 21,999 people, Troy was Miami County’s largest community in 2000. Many residents find employment in the nearby cities of Dayton and Springfield, including at the Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. Numerous manufacturing businesses operate in Troy and in surrounding communities. The area has an abundant workforce, and businesses have numerous large urban centers nearby to sell their products.